- In this episode David and Chris discuss the tips and tricks to targeting BookBub ads. It's not like Facebook or Amazon ads, so you need to know the guidelines for maximum results.Read More »
- This week, Chris starts a three-week series with David Gaughran, author of the new book, BookBub Ads Expert. In this first part, it's all about how to test for success and find a template you can use to replicate for success. Read More »
- In this episode, Chris and Becca introduce the second principle from the Quitcast tag line: what to quit, what to keep, what to question. This week we tackle what every author needs to keep. Read More »
- In this episode of the Smarty Pants Book Marketing Podcast, Chris and Becca introduce The Quitcast, Becca's new podcast for authors: what to keep, what to quit, and what to question.Read More »
- In this week's episode of the Smarty Pants Book Marketing Podcast, Chris gives three good reasons why a lead magnet (or reader magnet) might not be enough.Read More »
- In this week's show Chris analyzes data on how social media helps word-of-mouth and increases sales. Also, why most authors only need one primary social media channel for their platform.Read More »
- In this episode Chris interviews Ricardo Fayet, one of the founders of Reedsy, about their new Book Promotions Services data base. This searchable data base helps authors find specific promotions that fit their platform level, their budget, and their goals.Read More »
- In this episode Chris lays the foundation for the "less is more" system of selling more books with less marketing. You need three goals on three platforms--that is all.Read More »
- In this episode, Chris talks about three fundamentals you need to master to sell more books with less marketing. The beginning of a series on selling more books with less marketing in 2019.Read More »
- In this episode of the podcast, Chris reviews the 2018 Word of Mouth Marketing Report from Convince and Convert Consulting and how it can help authors sell more books.Read More »
- Sorry–somehow the intro didn’t make the final cut. Yikes! This is episode 111 with USA Today bestselling author Sara Rosett. In this episode of the Smarty Pants Book Marketing Podcast, Chris interviews USA Today Bestselling author Sara Rosett about marketing … Read MoreRead More »
- In this episode Chris defines word-of-mouth (WOM) marketing and talks about why it will be a go-to marketing strategy going forward. Chris shares seven key WOM strategies you'll need in 2019 and why they will beat your ads for selling books.Read More »
- In this episode Chris teaches authors how to scale (or copy) the promotion of another author and have success.Read More »
- In this episode of the podcast, the discussion continues about new marketing and where we need to be going in 2019 to optimize book sales and business growth (yes, author--you are a business owner).Read More »
- In this episode Chris introduces a short series on disruptive marketing. Because traditional methods we've been using for years are not delivering as well as they used to, it may be time to shake things up going into 2019. Not for the faint of heart.Read More »
- In this episode Chris invites publicity expert Sandra Beckwith to answer a listener's question about the difference between an agent and a publicist and what each does. And do you need either?Read More »
- In this episode Chris interviews Kevin Tumlinson, marketing director at Draft2Digital, about which book marketing trends are working and which ones ain't. Read More »
- In this episode, Chris interviews book cover design expert Joel Friedlander on the secrets to great book covers.Read More »
- On this week's Smarty Pants Book Marketing Podcast, learn how to quit wasting time putting our purposeless content and do only the work that sells more books and builds raving fans.Read More »
- In this episode of the Smarty Pants Book Marketing Podcast, Chris talks about how to get the most out of your online profiles by optimizing to boost discovery by new readers.Read More »
- In this episode Chris interviews Tammi Labrecque, author of Newsletter Ninja on how to make email your go-to weapon for reader engagement.Read More »
- In this podcast Chris and Becca toast the first 100 episodes of the Smarty Pants Book Marketing Podcast by reminiscing about their favorite guests and shows, talking about where the podcast is headed in the next 100 episodes, and celebrating a nod from Digital Book World.Read More »
- In this episode Chris interviews award-winning nonfiction writer Anne Janzer about her new book Writing To Be Understood and why it’s a necessary resource for writers. Emphasis on nonfiction. Show Notes & Links – Anne’s new book is the complete … Read MoreRead More »
- I have a confession to make—I can’t keep up. It’s not that I can’t keep up with marketing best practices and innovations. I have a passion for more information that will help me get the job done better and faster. … Read MoreRead More »
- In this week's episode of the podcast, Chris discusses the difference between marketing systems and marketing strategies and how to build a system that helps you build your author business.Read More »
- In this episode Chris outlines two changes in Facebook recently: the removal of the shop option to send buyers to bookstores and the ability to use third party applications to schedule posts on your personal profile. (14 minutes)Read More »
- In this episode Chris discusses Amazon's new edition of their ebook bulk buy program--who may benefit and who might not give a hoot. Included in the podcast are reflections on questions answered by Amazon's director of Author & Vendor Relations, Dan Slater. Running time: 19 minutes.Read More »
- In this episode Chris asks AMS Ads expert Brian Meeks questions from authors in the SMART Marketing For Authors Facebook Group. This episode is not for beginners. If you're interested in finding out beginning level strategies for AMS Ads, listen to episode 56. This episode is 52 minutes long.Read More »
- In this episode Chris explains the process of simple audience research--what types you want to gather, where to gather the data, and how it will inform your book marketing.Read More »
- In this episode Chris and Becca give authors a strategic outline on how to use social media to supplement book sales.Read More »
- In this episode, Chris interviews author David Gaughran about his new book, Strangers To Superfans. In the show Chris calls this "possibly the best book marketing book ever," a must-read for authors at every level.Read More »
- In this episode Chris outlines the three new rules of email marketing all authors need to pay attention to. As online content consumption changes, authors need to adjust to the changing needs of their readers. Read More »
- In this second part of the episode on Crisis Management For Authors, Chris and Becca discuss response strategies to online events and when you should and should not weigh-in publicly.Read More »
- In this episode of the podcast, Becca interviews co-host Chris Syme about her extensive background in crisis management and why crisis management for authors is important.Read More »
- In this episode Chris interviews copywriting expert and author Bryan Cohen on how to fix the most common mistakes authors make writing their book descriptions and ads.Read More »
- In this episode we visit with the founder of Written Word Media Ricci Wolman and discuss all things book promotions: when to do them, why to do them, how to do them, and more.Read More »
- In this episode Chris interviews brain science geek and author Anne Janzer about how to find a sustainable book marketing plan so you can do that one thing you really want to do...write.Read More »
- In this episode, Chris and Becca interview book marketing expert Kate Tilton on how to reach the elusive teen market. Generation Z readers are those born after 1993.Read More »
- In this episode Chris explains the five requirements for long-term book marketing success–the SMART acronym. Show Notes & Links -Five concepts that will guarantee your book marketing is successful in the long run. If you build it, they will come. … Read MoreRead More »
- In this episode Chris and Becca interview author Shawn Inmon for tips on how he built his Facebook page from 86 fans to over 3000 by being consistent, persistent, and personable. And, spending less than ten dollars a month.Read More »
- In this episode Chris analyzes how the changes in social media algorithms have impacted the way authors can now sell books and engage fans and what authors will have to do to be successful marketing their own books.Read More »
- In this episode of the Smarty Pants Book Marketing Podcast, Chris breaks down the new data from Pew Internet Research in the 2018 Social Media Use Report and what that means for indie authors.Read More »
- In this episode Chris discusses five principles that will help you find online book marketing classes, books, webinars, and Facebook groups that will help you sell more books and not just waste your time.Read More »
- In this episode, Chris and Becca interview authors Honoree Corder and Ben Hale about their newest book, Market Like A Boss. Learn the steps to turn your book into a blockbuster.Read More »
- In this episode Chris interviews Becca about her writing calendar, a tool that Becca developed to keep her author business and herself on track for success.Read More »
- In this episode, Chris and Becca have an informal discussion about the three options for authors on Facebook for promoting books and engaging with readers: Facebook profiles, author business pages, and groups. Pros and cons of each in light of the new algorithm changes.Read More »
- In this episode Chris gives her take on the latest Facebook algorithm changes and how they may affect authors. Keep calm and carry on. Show Notes & Links -Why social media is still the best place to engage with your … Read MoreRead More »
- In this episode, Chris presents part two on the keys to book marketing success in 2018. This week we find out the secret to online content that engages and sells: it’s called The Content Formula. Show Notes & Links: -Why … Read MoreRead More »
- In this episode of the Smarty Pants Book Marketing Podcast, Chris talks about the new algorithm announcement from Facebook and what it really means for authors.Read More »
- In this episode Chris talks with Draft2Digital (D2D) marketing Director Kevin Tumlinson on what is on the horizon for book marketing strategies in 2018. They also discuss D2D's recent decision to add Amazon as a distributor.Read More »
Hosted by USA Today bestselling author Becca Syme and award-winning marketer Chris Syme
The best mother-daughter one-two punch in book marketing!
Join Becca and Chris to discover how to be a true smarty pants book marketer with everything from social media to email list building to website essentials and much more. You'll also get an opportunity to hear from some of the top book marketing experts and indie authors who have succeeded at marketing their own books using smarty pants strategies.
What Makes This Podcast Different--you know, why should you listen?
Most book marketing podcasts just give you information...and that is great. We'll do plenty of that. But if you really want to learn how to be a marketer, not just "do marketing", then you'll love this podcast. Co-hosts award-winning marketer Chris Syme and bestselling indie author Becca Syme bring their years of experience to the table to give indie authors actionable help to overcome the challenges of selling their books. You'll get the marketing expert side and the indie author side on all the tactics. In addition to their sage advice, they'll be bringing on smarty pants experts to zero in on specific challenges you face in marketing.
Help Us Get the Word Out!
Use the hashtag #smartypantspodcast on Facebook and Twitter to help your friends discover the podcast. Share the subscribe links below.
Subscribe to the Podcast--Don't Miss an Episode!
Click on the button to subscribe below (Stitcher is the podcast app for Android/Windows phones. If you don't have the Stitcher app on your Android phone, install the app first, from Google Play, then add the podcast. You can also listen on TUNEIN RADIO HERE.