We are all readers, right? When you’re not reading for pleasure, what do you pick up? Do you spend some time reading books on how to be a better writer? A better marketer? What are the best book marketing books out there right now?
I am an addicted lifelong learner. But I am picky about what I spend my time reading. When it comes to recommending books to writers who want to learn more about marketing I employ the same picky habits. First, I want to read a book that will take me deeper into a skill I need to be better at my job. Second, I want the book to come from a reputable expert. Sometimes that means reading a marketing book aimed at the business world. And third, I want to read a book that is based on marketing best practices, not some get-rich-quick scheme. I trust known marketing experts, reviews by reputable authors, and professional friends to help me choose good ones.
I have read just about every book marketing book out there. Some are spot on and some really are trash. I recommend you do your research. Here are the six best books I am currently recommending for authors who want to learn more about a book marketing skills. They will give you a good start.
- Prosperity for Writers by Honoree Corder. This is a mindset book with practical action steps. If you aspire to be a full-time writer, you must read this important book.
- Six-Figure Author by Chris Fox. This short workbook will walk you through the necessary steps to know exactly what is involved in reaching a higher income level. I recommend this book mainly for authors who are willing to be Amazon exclusive. His knowledge of the Amazon algorithm is essential to know.
- Sell More Books With Less Social Media. This is my latest book and I think it is a mandatory read for all indies. In this culture of FOMO we need a steady hand to understand exactly which social media channels are valuable and how to have a minimal presence that is optimized for our success. If you’re looking for a book on tools and how to succeed on every social media channel, this book will not help you.
- How to Write a Sizzling Synopsis by Bryan Cohen. I am convinced that better book descriptions will make us more money than anything on our book’s sales page. Authors need to learn to write a good one. I also recommend Ray Edwards’ book How to Write Copy That Sells as it has a comprehensive approach to sales copy that will also help you with ads and other copywriting skills.
- The Content Code by Mark Schaefer. This is a general marketing book but since so many authors rely on content writing to sell their books it is a must read. Whether it is a blog, an ad, Facebook, Goodreads, Instagram or whatever, content is the key to every step of the buying process from discovery to conversion. Schaefer explains what good content is and why you need to give away more than you ask for.
- How to Make A Living With Your Writing by Joanna Penn. I like this book because Joanna has a number of income streams in her author business. Her book is about building for the long run and is not a get-rich-quick method. Solid stuff.
If you’ve got a book you like for book marketing advice, please feel free to recommend it in the comments and tell us what the emphasis of the book is. So be sure and check the comments for more recommendations.